Saturday, October 18, 2014

Review: Rock Bottom (Tristan & Danika #2) by R.K. Lilley

~Synopsis~
Rock Bottom picks up where Bad Things left off.  Reeling from a profound loss, Tristan and Danika struggle to pick up the pieces and build a life together, but the hard habits of a lifetime are not so easy to escape.  Rock Bottom takes up on a dual point of view journey through addiction and desire, through love and agony, and answers the question we've been asking since these characters were introduced in Grounded:  "What happened between Tristan and Danika?"

Danika is consumed by her love for Tristan.  But is her love enough to overpower their demons?

Tristan knew that Danika was the one.  She was always on his mind, and he constantly longed for her.  He wouldn't survive without her.

Can these two save their relationship?  Or will the train wreck continue?
~My Review~
««««

Rock Bottom picks up directly where Bad things left off.  Knowing that there's going to be a book 3, and knowing what I knew of their relationship (or lack thereof) in Up in the Air, I had a feeling that things weren't going to be pretty in this book.  Also, there's a picture of Tristan on the cover, and the title is Rock Bottom...Therefore, I went into this book assuming that Tristan does, in fact, hit rock bottom, and that things aren't going to be pretty.  The question is, What else happens to come between Tristan and Danika?  And how does Danika get her limp?

I loved that the book is told to us in alternating POV's.  I think it's really important to really see what's going on in both of their heads.  I feel as though Rock Bottom is really mostly Tristan's story, with Danika feeling much of the effects of of his actions, so it was really important to hear where they were both coming from.

My heart really went out to Tristan in this book.  He's the bad boy and a true Alpha - he is constantly trying to protect Danika and is always trying to save her from something.  But unfortunately, he does that to his own detriment.  While he's trying so hard to protect other people, he's barely keeping his head above water.  He went a really long time not seeing himself for who he really is, and that in turn not only hurt himself, but it also hurt Danika and their relationship.  He wants so bad to be a rockstar, but he really just can't handle living like a rockstar.

They were so in love with each other throughout the entire book, but I won't lie:  There were times I needed to put the book down and walk away.  Certain times, it was just too painful to keep reading.  It was as if anything that could go wrong, did go wrong, and I just didn't want to have to see it written down on paper.  I wanted so bad for T&D to have their happily ever after, and I wanted it to happen in this book, and I knew.  I knew.  It just wouldn't happen.

Does the book end on a Cliffhanger?  Yes.  No.  I don't know.  Kind of.  They've both reached their breaking point.  When the book ends, it's still five years before James and Bianca's wedding, and we know from those books that Tristan is still very much in love with Danika.  But she really feels like she can't give him what she's looking for....Just their conversation during Bianca's art showing in Grounded tells us that in no way, at this point, is their story over.

I think it's clear that it's going to take a long time for for T&D to reconcile and get back together.  I've read book 3 already at the time I'm writing this, but at the time I finished (and I had to wait quite a while before Book 3 even came out), I honestly didn't know if they would actually get their happily ever after.  Did the events leading up to what gave Danika her limp leave her with any other injuries? And what happens when Tristan actually finds out what happens on that fateful night?

So yea, there's still a lot more for us to find out.  But at least we're not only reading heartache in this book.  They do really love each other, and they have some wonderful times together.  It's also fun to get a little bit of Fankie's POV, and we see James Cavendish in his Alpha Dominant glory well before Bianca even comes into the picture.  It's fantastic!

Overall, Rock Bottom doesn't disappoint.  The story flows well, and I know that even though the direction that it's going in that it may be painful, but I had faith the entire way through that the series would round out well.  I'm excited for the happy reunion that I know Book 3 will bring!.


Rock Bottom (Tristan & Danika #2)
Rock Bottom (Tristan & Danika #2)

Other books in the series:
Bad Things (Tristan & Danika #1)
Lovely Trigger (Tristan & Danika #3)
Spinoffs
In Flight (Up in the Air #1)
Mile High (Up in the Air #2)
Grounded (Up in the Air #3)
Lana (A Novella)

No comments:

Post a Comment