Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Review: Mile High (Up in the Air #2) by R.K. Lilley

~Synopsis~
James has initiated Bianca into his world of dominance and submission, passion, and pain.  He brought out her submissive and masochistic nature.  Through everything, Bianca fell in love with the charming, beautiful, Alpha-dominant James Cavendish.

Due to a gross misunderstanding orchestrated by one of James's past lovers, Bianca has called a halt to their relationship.  The combination of their breakup, as well as the brutal beating that Bianca suffered at the hands of her father has a distraught James begging to be let back in.

It's been over a month since Bianca's hospitalization and while James has respected Bianca's need for space, his patience is at an end and he's ready to reconcile.  While Bianca's feelings toward James haven't changed and she still loves him fiercely, she is holding him at arms length.  It's only a matter of time before James has her under his spell once again.
~My Review~
«««««

After finishing In Flight, I bought this book immediately.  I am one of those people who even if I'm on the fence about a book in a series, I always want to know what happens at the end.  Well, this is not one of those books.  This was a book where the first was SO GOOD that I needed to keep reading to find out what happens.

I absolutely love Bianca and James.  They are probably one of my favorite book couples, and even though Bianca shut out James at the end of Book 1, I knew that they were going to get back together.  My only hope was that it would happen as soon as possible.  Well, my wish came true.  The beginning of Book 2 fast forwards a month after what happens in Book 2, and we essentially get right back into Bianca and James's world.  They have a lot to work through: Feelings, insecurities, and trust being just a few.

What I really loved about this book was the continual development of Bianca, James, and even Stephan.  There are so many moments where the love between Bianca and James really just jumps off the page.  James continues to be his sexy Alpha Male Dominant self, but he also maintains the tender heart that he possesses for Bianca outside the bedroom.  He has the utmost respect for Bianca and is completely honest with her.  He knows that because of everything that happened with Jules, Bianca will use any excuse she can to push him away.  Therefore, he gives Bianca everything she asks for, while ensuring that it's not just a one-sided relationship.  But everything he asks for in return is completely within reason.  I loved him so much for everything that he did for Bianca.  Even though we can see the love he has for Bianca is to the moon and back, Bianca still holds back on her feelings for him, and while I understand why she holds back, I still feel bad for him at times.  She is always so cool and composed, while we know that Bianca loves James, I totally understand why he sometimes doubts her.

While there is a lot of lovey-doveyness that happens, there is still plenty of steamy scenes.  For instance, I'll never be able to see a horse riding scene on television again without having dirty thoughts (I don't care how unrealistic it was!  It was still hot!).  And there are plenty of scenes on the 4th floor, as well.

I also loved that Stephan had more of his own role in this book rather than just Bianca's BFF.  Yes, he still supports Bianca in every way possible, but his own friendship with James allows him to be more of a 3rd party rather than Bianca's extra appendage.  He seriously is probably one of the best friends anyone could ever have, and I'm so happy that he starts to find his own happiness in this book.  With the release of Mr. Beautiful coming out soon (October 15!!), I really hope that I get to read more from his point of view in regards to his own story line.

Once again, my only complaint in Book 2 is the same as Book 1, and it is not even about the story.  It's about the writing and my crazy obsession with "[name] and I" vs "[name] and me"... For example:  "Marnie called out to James and I, smiling and wiggling her eyebrows suggestively."  Perfect example.  You wouldn't say "Marnie called out to I, smiling....."  No, you would say "Marnie called out to me, smiling...."  ergo:  James and me.  But, as I said before, I think I"m just nitpicking.  But it's valid and I noticed it every time it came up.

A lot happens in this book.  Once again, the book ended with a lot of unanswered questions that will be dealt in Book 3, so another cliffhanger.  I wouldn't say it's like the cliffhanger in Book 1, as both James and Bianca are in a very good place in their relationship, but there's a lot left that is going to happen in Book 3 in order for everything to be resolved, and I'm not ashamed to say that I bought book 3 immediately in order to keep reading.  Another Five healthy stars for Mile High!!.


Link to Amazon
Link to Nook

Other books in the series:
In Flight (Up in the Air #1)
Grounded (Up in the Air #3)
Spinoffs:
Bad Things (Tristan & Danika #1)
Rock Bottom (Tristan & Danika #2)
Lovely Trigger (Tristan & Danika #3)
Lana (A Novella)

No comments:

Post a Comment