Saturday, April 18, 2015

Review: Until July (Until Her #1) by Aurora Rose Reynolds

~Synopsis~
Wes Silver wasn’t looking for love, but when July Mayson literally knocks him on his ass during their first encounter, his world is turned upside down by the quirky blonde, and every moment with her makes him more determined to protect her.

July Mayson doesn’t understand the pull she feels toward the bad boy biker Wes Silver, but she knows being with him is like nothing she’s ever felt before. Now all she has to do is tell her overprotective father, Asher Mayson, that she’s found her boom.
~My Review~
«««


I found this book because I am a huge fan (maybe even a massive fan) of the Until Series. I loved loved loved Asher, Trevor, Cash, and Nico. Now while I loved those boys, I took their books with somewhat of a grain of salt. What do I mean by that? Well, they all had similar flow, and the writing really wasn't optimal. However, they were entertaining and while everything else does help with reading the story, the entertainment factor is huge for me. That being said, when ARR posted that she would be starting the spinoff series, Until Her and Until Him (for the girls and the boys of the original 4 books), I was cautiously delighted. 

I was nervous to read about July and her grown up life when Asher and November were now (essentially) in their fifties. But I was happy to see that while they had roles in this book, they were strictly side characters and I was able to separate them from the story and see them just as parents. 

I liked both Wes and July. I felt like they were both interesting characters. Wes is your Alpha Male biker who is a retired Navy Seal (yum). July is the daughter of a crazy alpha male, who now owns her own veterinary clinic (I loved that she named it after Beast). I felt that both characters were developed well, and their first meeting was just classic. I loved everything about it. While their relationship did have an insta-love, I wasn't surprised since that's how many of ARR's books happen. And at the end of the day, it's fiction....so - not surprising. 

I loved that we got more information on the sisters and their names. I knew that the girls were July, June, May, December, and April, but I couldn't understand where December came from (it seemed so out of place). But finally understanding the meaning of their names made so much sense. And makes Asher even more lovable. I also loved the relationship between the sisters and cousins. I loved how the boys are extremely protective of the girls (even the older girls), and loved how they interacted together. I also liked the relationship that was built between Asher and Wes. Knowing that Asher was so protective of his girls made me really question how he would be when they finally brought a boy home. So once July finally plucked up the courage to introduce Wes and Asher, I loved seeing their relationship build. 

The story.  I thought that the story flowed well. I liked how July's business was a focal point, as well as a number of different animals. At the same time, there was a lot revolving around Wes's MC. I liked how the two things wove into each other. However, while the story flowed well, I felt like there were instances of conflict without resolution. Obviously certain characters were brought in so that they can be built upon in future books, and I'm guessing that some of the conflict will come up again. So in a way, it's totally possible that the lack of resolution is more of a cliff hanger to be resolved in a future book. 

I honestly would have rated this book at a 4, but I had to give it 3 starts because the editing was just so horrible. It was surprising and I almost wonder if this was an unedited draft. There were run on sentences, spelling errors and grammar errors. In one scene with all of the girls together (sisters and cousins), Nalia and Naila are used interchangeably. It was very surprising. Also, I noticed that there were a few inconsistencies with Until November, and it made the writing seem a bit sloppy.

Overall, I felt that Until July was an enjoyable read. I was disappointed in some of the conflict / resolution and certainly with the editing, but I'm excited for more books in the series because I do love those Maysons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment