Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Review: Instigation (Clandestine #1) by Tessa Teevan

~Synopsis~
Three years after her life changed forever, Gabriella Latham finally has it all. Killer job [if working for her boyfriend counts]. Killer closet [even if she doesn't technically own any of it]. Killer boyfriend [who refuses to let her leave him, even when she tries]. Unfortunately for her, the last part isn't hyperbole. She just doesn't know it yet.

Adrian Morningstar was a dream come true. No one had ever loved her more, and for the first time, in longer than she could remember, she was no longer alone. He was the Prince Charming to her Cinderella, until suddenly he became the Beast with whom she could not escape.

Until him.

When Rafe Matthews is hired to oversee the guest home construction of one of the most powerful businessmen in the country, he finally has his in. Nothing will get in the way of what he sets out to do.

Until her.

Watching from the shadows, he's drawn to the beautiful, isolated woman of the house. His curiosity is piqued and he has to have her. She may be taken by the boss, but that's not enough to stop him. Or her.

Nothing is quite as it seems, and this is only the beginning.

Passions ignite. Tempers flare. Secrets kill.

Book 1 in the brand new Clandestine Affairs Series. Book 2, Escalation, will release late summer 2015.
~My Review~
«««««

I found this book because I love Tessa Teevan.  I have read her entire Explosive series, as well as the Wellington series.  So when she posted that she was putting out a new book (new series!!), I put it on my Goodreads TBR list and I read it just about the minute it got released.

This series is completely different from anything I had previously read by Tessa Teevan.  And that's not a bad thing.  Sometimes mixing it up does a body good.  While her other books were mainly contemporary romance with some military men thrown in (nothing wrong with that!!), this is more of a suspense thriller romance.  And I really enjoyed it!

Gabriella Latham, Adrian Morningstar, and Rafe Matthews are all mysteries.  We get bits and pieces of all of their stories throughout the book, but by the end, we really only know Gabriella.  Gabriella is alone in the world.  She one day meets Adrian at her favorite coffee shop, and they have an insta-love relationship.  After a short amount of time, Adrian has convinced her to move in with him and quit her job to work with him.  Her parents are both dead, and it takes a while for us to find out what happened to them.  She seems a bit wary of Adrian at first - he seems to somehow know quite a bit about her - but she eventually puts all of her trust into him.  As time goes by and their relationship evolves, she finds herself in a position of innate unhappiness and suspects Adrian of cheating.  Something has definitely changed.  Enter Rafe.  He's the owner of the company that is doing a large construction project at Adrian's home (which, in and of itself, is a mystery).  He is immediately attracted to Gabriella, and just like Adrian, he seems to know some information about her right up front, which leads to me believe that Rafe may not be all he seems, either.

The story is very interesting.  And very different.  Throughout each chapter, I was constantly hoping that we would get more answers.  I know that both Adrian and Rafe were more than they appeared to be.  And while different clues popped up here and there, we were ultimately left with a major cliffhanger.  I know that it will all come together so we can understand what's going on, but I'm really not looking forward to two more books.  That's a lie - I just am not looking forward to waiting for two more books!

There were so many aspects of this book that I enjoyed.  I loved both relationships that were happening throughout the book - completely different than anything I've read in the past.  I loved the suspense, the hopefulness that we would figure things out before the book ended.  I loved the addition of all of the art - my mother is an art teacher, and while she teaches at an elementary school level, she always took the opportunity to talk to me about different artists, and I could relate her love of impressionism to Gabriella.

Overall, I thought this was a great read.  The story was great, mainly carried by the characters, who were well developed but obviously held a lot of suspense, and I can't wait for the next book, which is Rafe's story.  I'm hoping that by learning more about him, we'll be able to put some answers to Gabriella's story.

I definitely recommend this read!!!

Link to Goodreads
Link to Kindle
Link to Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment