Friday, December 5, 2014

Review: You Were Mine (Rosemary Beach #9) by Abbi Glines

~Synopsis~
Gossip is the ultimate currency in Rosemary Beach, but Bethy and Tripp have managed to keep one big secret to themselves.

Eight years ago, Tripp Newark was dating a rich girl he didn’t like and was on his way to Yale—and a future he didn’t want. The only way he could escape his predictable life would be to give up the money and power that came with his family’s name. And that’s exactly what he planned to do. At the end of the summer, he was going to ride off on his Harley and never look back.

That was before he met Beth Lowry.

It was only supposed to be a summer fling. She was a sixteen-year-old trailer-park girl who served drinks to his friends at Kerrington Country Club. They didn’t run in the same social circles. No one even knew they were friends, let alone lovers. Yet, for one summer, Bethy became his entire world.

But he couldn’t give up on his plan. He needed to leave Rosemary Beach, but he vowed he would come back for her.

Problem was, by the time he came back—years later than promised—it was too late. His cousin, Jace, had already claimed the woman he loved…

~My Review~
««««


Wow.  OK.  This is the ninth (number 9!!) of the Rosemary Beach series.  A friend of mine suggested this series to me, and when I first started reading, I was able to read about Rush and Blaire, Woods and Della, and the first book for Grant and Harlow.  With each new couple that was introduced, I fell in love with the series a little bit more.  This book is specifically about Bethy and Tripp, and while we know who Tripp is, we never really got to know him in any of the previous books.  We met Bethy in the first book of the series, and I always have had a special place in my heart for her.

Tripp is Jace's cousin, and what we never really knew is that Tripp and Bethy used to date, before Tripp left town and well before Bethy started sleeping around or dating Jace.  Not only did we get to read from both of their POV's in this book, but we also got a glimpse of the past (8 years ago) as well as present day.  I felt that it really helped set the story up so we could really understand exactly why Bethy and Tripp are in the positions that they're currently in.

I've always admired Abbi Glines' writing, and she continues to do a great job in this book.  There was a lot of expansion and explanations that needed to happen in this book.  We know that Bethy hasn't been living her life well since Jace died, and with Tripp back in town, she really holds something against him; but no one can figure out what actually happened between the two of them.  This book really turned into a soul searcher, and I felt like both Bethy and Tripp learned a lot about themselves and each other by the end of the book.

There is obviously a huge conflict in the story.  Bethy and Tripp are the main conflict.  I felt like it moved and progressed well.  Quite a few things happen to resolve the conflict and move things along, and I was thrilled with the HEA that came at the end.  Bethy always had a certain depressed-like quality to her, and I was so happy to finally see her happy.  Tripp too.  They both deserved to start living again.  The best part was that not only did they need to work through the conflict of their past, but they also needed to work through the conflict of the present, the conflict that arose when Tripp came back to town, when Jace died, and the aftermath of everything.  I was really happy with how things worked out here.

There were a couple things that I didn't like, but honestly, they did help the story -- I guess I just didn't like the character.  I don't want to give anything away.  But ultimately, Some things that helped create some conflict and bring out jealousy that were essential to moving the story along were good for that, I was just rooting for Bethy and Tripp and didn't want to see them get hurt by someone....So I guess I was just pulling for B&T instead of others.  But it didn't take a way from the story at all - it was just me saying, "oh, go away!"

I did absolutely love how Blaire, Rush, Woods, Della, Grant, and Harlow were still a part of the story.  Even Nate and Lila Kate had roles in the story, and just the fact that Rush taught Nate (who is now 2 years old) how to fist bump make me squeal with excitement - I mean, how cute?!?  All of these characters played roles in helping to move Bethy and Tripp along in their relationship, and I loved the friendship that jumped off the pages!

This book actually rang in at about 256 pages (But only 2872 location points on Kindle).  The book seemed to go by really fast, and I really enjoyed it.  It was pretty much on par with the length of the other books in the Rosemary Beach series.  It ends on a very happy note (Yay Bethy and Tripp!!), and there is no cliffhanger.  The ending was a bit abrupt, but everything came together well.  I would assume, that since we're still going to get a book about Mase as a part of the Rosemary Beach series that we'll still hear from Bethy and Tripp.  There is a bonus bit at the end of the book for When I'm Gone, and I'm excited about it!  Also, upon inspection of Goodreads, I noticed that there will actually be 2 books for Mase, a book (it says characters and title TBA), and then a book for Nan.  We also can't forget the Christmas Release of the FREE Novella for Kiro!!  I can't wait!!!




Other books in the series:
Fallen Too Far (Rosemary Beach #1) (Rush & Blaire) 

Never Too Far (Rosemary Beach #2) (Rush & Blaire) 
Forever Too Far (Rosemary Beach #3) (Rush & Blaire) 
Rush Too Far (Rosemary Beach #4) (Rush & Blaire) 
Twisted Perfection (Rosemary Beach #5) (Woods & Della) 
Simple Perfection (Rosemary Beach #6) (Woods & Della) 
Take a Chance (Rosemary Beach #7) (Grant & Harlow) 
One More Chance (Rosemary Beach #8) (Grant & Harlow) 
You Were Mine (Rosemary Beach #9) (Tripp & Bethy) 
Kiro's Emily (Rosemary Beach #10) (Free Novella for Kiro!) 
When I'm Gone (Rosemary Beach #11) (Mase - To Be Released) 
When You're Back (Rosemary Beach #12) (Mase - To Be Released) 

No comments:

Post a Comment