Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review: Renegade Lady (Renegade Sons MC #1) by Dawn Martens & Emily Minton

~Synopsis~

Kiddrick "Kidd" Jones is the VP of the Renegades.  He will soon be taking over as President, and as soon as Chipper brings Jenna home and he meets her, he knows there is something special about her.  But knowing that she's too young, he makes himself stay away until she is 18.

When it comes time for Ice to take her place in the club, her only choices are to become an old lady or to become a club whore.  Her past has convinced her that she could never be an old lady, so she takes her place as a club whore, much to the chagrin of both Chipper and Kidd.

As time passes, Kidd can't keep ignoring Jenna knowing that he wants to make her his.  Will Jenna finally give love a chance, or is Kidd fighting for nothing?
~My Review~
««««

I came across this book after buying the Open Road Bikers Anthology on Amazon (which I believe is no longer available).  When I purchased the Anthology, I had not read many Biker Books, but I was excited to enter into this new world.  While I read quite a few different books, which I will blog about individually, I really enjoyed Renegade Lady.

Renegade Lady is the first book of the Renegade Sons MC Series by Dawn Martens & Emily Minton.  I was hooked into the story as soon as I began reading.  It was so different from any other kind of book I've ever read before.  The first thing I needed to understand was the dynamic of a Motorcycle Club.  It's dangerous and dark.  Lies, cheating, guns, drugs, and alcohol fly around like nothing I've ever seen.  Club whores are exactly that.  They are in the club for the use of the Club Members.  Even if the Club Members have "Old Ladies" (wives), they still sometimes sleep around with the club whores but Old Ladies cannot sleep with other members.  So while it seems completed sexist and ridiculous, it was just something that I had to accept as part of life of the MC.  This is not necessarily explained right up front, so it's something that I had to learn through the process of reading.  But now that I understand that, I feel like I can go into other MC books with this information and I'll only need to learn the nuances of the particular club I'm reading about.  Even though I had a lot of learning to do about the dynamics of life in an MC, it didn't take away from the fact that this was a very well written book.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I love books where I am not constantly critiquing the grammar, etc.

The character development in the book is good.  Even though there is a six-year lapse in the story, it is bridged well. We are introduced to Jenna right away.  She is a sixteen year old girl whose father has given her to the son of the President of the Mateland club, a chapter of the Renegade Sons.  Against her will, she is considered Timmons' Old Lady, and is repeatedly abused and raped by him and one of his friends.  What I really like about Jenna is that while she is afraid that she is going to have to be brought back to Timmons, she doesn't let the repeated abuse and rapes of her past shape her, even as she grows into her future role in the headquarters club.  She does, however, grow hardened over time and holds other experiences close to her.  Even as she grows older, she holds grudges against her past.  She truly does earn the nickname "Ice."  We meet Kidd when Chipper brings Jenna back to the MC.  He recognizes Jenna as something special right away, and spends a lot of time with her.  Even though he tells people she's like his little sister (much to her horror), he knows she's different and special but recognizes that she's underage and there's nothing he can do with her until she turns 18. He's turns out to be the quintessential fuck-up, in that while waiting for her, he tries sleeping with someone else as her placeholder (um really??  You idiot!!).  I really loved both Jenna and Kidd, as well as the secondary characters involved in their story.  I loved to see how Chipper, who happens to be Kidd's older brother, took Jenna in and he and his wife treated her like a daughter.  I loved the relationships that Jenna forged with not only Chipper and Mindy, but also some of the other men in the club (sexual relationships, yes, but they were also meaningful friendships).  It was surprising to see so much softness and drama being played out by a bunch of Alpha Male MC guys; I wasn't expecting so much drama from this book.  At the same time, the characters didn't lack any of the gritty hardass qualities that you would expect from an MC, and I liked the balance of both. I have to admit that even though the MC is full of illegal things, I really liked that there is at least this firm understanding that the men cannot do anything with an underage girl.  The morals here are applauded.

The story flows well, but at the same time, a lot of the book is dedicated to the drama surrounding Jenna and Kidd. They are both incredibly stubborn and are driven by pride, and at times it's just infuriating. It's their story, and it wouldn't be what it is without it, but at the same time, I wanted to smack both of them and tell them to grow up and get with the picture.  Even while they are battling conflicts together, their stubbornness gets in their own way, and they have multiple battles going on at the same time.

Once we get past the main drama of Jenna and Kidd, there is still conflict that takes place, which forces Jenna and Kidd to rely on each other and work together.  I feel like this conflict is well play out and resolved appropriately.  Nothing is too abrupt or out of nowhere, and I appreciate the time that is taken to build this part of the story.  There are twists that connect the beginning to the end, and I feel like the characters' responses to what is happening is appropriate, and I like how everything plays out in the end.

The book is a good length at 389 pages (4081 location points for the Kindle users).  There is a happy ending (yay!), despite all of the drama, and there's no cliffhanger.  There is a second book in the series which focuses on Daisy and Preach, and I will definitely be reading that!

All in all, I liked this book.  It was totally different from all of the other books I've read, but I think I'll be adding other MC books into my reading rotation.  This story, in particular, was one of the better books that I read in the Biker Anthology that it was featured in..


Renegade Lady
Renegade Lady

Other books in the series:
Renegade Lady (Renegade Sons MC #1)
Renegade Reject (Renegade Sons MC #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment