Monday, November 24, 2014

Review: Captivated by You (Crossfire #4) by Sylvia Day

~Synopsis~

The vows we'd exchanged should have bound us tighter than blood and flesh. Instead they opened old wounds, exposed pain and insecurities, and lured bitter enemies out of the shadows. I felt him slipping from my grasp, my greatest fears becoming my reality, my love tested in ways I wasn’t sure I was strong enough to bear.

At the brightest time in our lives, the darkness of his past encroached and threatened everything we’d worked so hard for. We faced a terrible choice: the familiar safety of the lives we’d had before each other or the fight for a future that suddenly seemed an impossible and hopeless dream…
~My Review~
«««««

I have been waiting FOREVER for this book to come out.  At least it feels like forever.  I loved the first three books in this series, and when I found out that it was going to be extended from 3 books to 5 books, I felt both excited and apprehensive at the same time.  Excited because I love Gideon, but apprehensive because I wanted to make sure that the books weren't going to be drawn out just for the heck of it with unnecessary drama.  I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed this book (hence the 5 stars), and I wasn't unhappy with any of the plot lines in the book.  I think that some of the story-lines maybe wouldn't have happened (Megumi, the details about Mark and Steven), but I still really enjoy reading about them.

This book is the fourth in line of the Crossfire series.  It picks up directly where book three left off.  The relationship between Gideon and Eva has always been tumultuous.  I have loved their relationship from the start, and the feelings that fly have the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  I absolutely love them together, even though they are both such damaged souls.  They've hurt each other, but they love each other harder, and as their relationship continues to grow, I love them more and more.

I loved this book because....WE GET GIDEON'S POV!!!!  O-M-G.  How exciting!  I remember a couple of snippets released and at least one of them was in Gideon's POV, but I thought maybe it was just a teaser.  Having both sides of the story added so much more depth into the series, and I really wished that books 1-3 had his POV, as well.  So many times in the first three books I wished I knew what Gideon was thinking...And now we know.  I loved hearing how much Gideon really loves Eva from his own POV, and I love reading about his vulnerabilities from his own POV, too.  Since I read Bared to You (I think in December of 2013), I have loved Gideon.  He is so strong and dominating, but he hides behind the successful businessman that everyone else knows.  Having his POV really shows the vulnerable man that he is, and in CBY, he has fought a lot of demons and really fought to understand himself.

So, so, so much happened in Captivated By You.  I reread the first three books just before this got released, so I didn't have to stop and think about what happened before.  I think that if I hadn't reread the first three books, I might have thought that CBY had too much going on.  We had the obvious story-line around Gideon and Eva, the development of their relationship, and how Gideon is fighting his demons.  Then, we had the story-lines around Corrine, Megumi, Christopher, Brett, and Cary, plus a few smaller characters here and there.  There was a lot going on!  Having reread those first three books, I remembered that even in those books, there was a ton going on, so I almost wasn't surprised there was so much.  Because so much happened in this book, One With You (Crossfire #5) is going to need A LOT of resolution.  There are still so many things that we need answers to, but I don't feel like I've been left totally in the dark.

One of the things I loved about this book was that we were introduced to some of Gideon's friends.  I liked to find out that he actually had friends (and wasn't just a workaholic), and that his friends are pretty cool.  We get to know his lawyer better, not just on a lawyer level, but also on a friend level, and I liked that.  We also got to know Chris, Gideon's step-father, and Ireland, Gideon's sister, a little bit better, and while the circumstances around us getting to know Chris aren't pretty, we see what kind of man he really is.  We already met Ireland in EWY, and I liked her then, and I like her now, too.  I really liked that we got to know Gideon's family a little bit better since we had already been introduced to Eva's parents on multiple occasions.

At the end of the day, there was a ton going on in this book, yet I loved every minute of it.  I do wish some of the story-lines had some resolution, but since everything is connected, I understand why we have seen a lot of movement with the stories, but no real resolution.  Through everything, Gideon and Eva have a crazy love for each other and they always stay strong.  Yes, they hurt each other and make mistakes, but they are passionate and love each other so much, I absolutely love them.  I really can't wait for Book 5 to get resolution, but I know that I'm not ready for their story to end.  I can't wait to see what happens next!.


Captivated By You
Captivated By You

Other books in the series:
Bared to You (Crossfire #1)
Reflected in You (Crossfire #2)
Entwined with You (Crossfire #3)

No comments:

Post a Comment