Thursday, July 23, 2015

Review: Dream Man Series by Kristen Ashely

~Synopsis~

Mystery Man: Dream Man #1
Gwendolyn Kidd has met the man of her dreams. He's hot, he's sexy, and what started as a no-names-exchanged night of passion has blossomed into a year and a half-long pleasure fest. Sure, it's a little strange that he only appears in her bed at night, but Gwen is so sure he's the one, she just can't turn him away...

Hawk Delgado knows more about Gwen than she could ever imagine. She's gorgeous, headstrong, and skittish about relationships. But Hawk is facing his own demons, demons that keep him from connecting with anyone. Yet when Gwen is drawn into Denver's lethal underground scene, Hawk's protective nature comes out full force. The problem is, when Gwen gets a dose of Hawk's Alpha attitude in the daylight, she's not so sure he's the one anymore....

Wild Man: Dream Man #2
While filling the display case in her bakery, the bell over the door sounds and Tessa O'Hara looks up to see the man of her dreams. Within thirty seconds he asks her out for a beer. But after four months of dating, she discovers he's an undercover DEA agent-and he's investigating her possible role in her ex-husband's drug business. For Tess, this means their relationship is over.

Brock disagrees. He's committed to his anti-drug mission, but he's fallen in love with the beautiful woman who's as sweet as her cupcakes-and he'll do anything to win her back. Standing between Tess and Brock are their own exes, one of them a drug lord who's determined to get what he wants. Now as danger threatens, can Brock break the rules he's lived by and let loose his wild side to protect the woman he loves?

Law Man: Dream Man #3
Sweet, shy Mara Hanover is in love with her neighbor. For four years, she has secretly watched her dream man from afar. Handsome police detective Mitch Lawson is way out of her league. She's a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, and there's no way a guy like Mitch would want anything to do with her. But when Mara has a leaky faucet that she can't fix, it's Mitch who comes to her rescue.

Mitch has been eyeing his beautiful neighbor for a long time. He jumps at the chance to help her, and soon their formerly platonic relationship gets very hot and heavy. But when Mara gets a disturbing phone call from her cousin's kids, she gets pulled back into the life she's tried so hard to leave behind. Can the hot law man convince Mara to let go of her past-and build a future with him?

Motorcycle Man: Dream Man #4
Tyra Masters has had enough drama to last a lifetime. Now, she's back on track and looking forward to her new, quiet life. Until she meets the man of her dreams. The tattooed, muscled biker plies her with tequila-and the best sex of her life. She knows it isn't the tequila and hot sex talking. He's the kind of man she's always wanted. Unfortunately, he's also her new boss . . .

Kane "Tack" Allen has a rule. He doesn't employ someone he's slept with. So when he learns he spent last night in bed with his new office manager, he quickly fires Tyra. Yet when Tyra stands up to him and fights for her job, Tack is intrigued. He tells her she can keep her job on one condition: no more sex. Ever. But as things heat up between them, Tack finds that he'll be the one breaking all the rules...
~My Review~
«««««

I don't think I've hidden the fact that I love all books by Kristen Ashley.  After reading her Colorado Mountain Series, I decided that I should keep reading her other books.  I read Rock Chick, and while I liked it, I knew there were quite a few (like a ton) of other books in that series, and so I wanted to read a shorter series because I knew that I would have to devote quite a bit of time to the series.  Therefore, I went with the Dream Man Series, given that there were only four books in the series.  I'll be honest with you - I had seen Mystery Man pop up more times that I can count in my Goodreads Recommendations, but I always skipped right over it.  Honestly, I the reason I always skipped over it was because of the cover - a while back, the cover was a martini glass instead of a hot guy....And for some reason, it turned me off.  Well, shame on me!  

Consistent with her other books, these books are long.  They are all 500+ pages long, but I feel they still keep you interested and don't have any major lulls.  I never felt at any time that I wasn't to put the book down and read something different instead.  I loved all of the characters but I especially liked how they carry over from story to story, but not in a way that you absolutely need to have read one before the other.  But it is helpful.  I loved a lot of the auxiliary characters, and I loved how they often carried over, as well.  The ladies martini nights were always a hoot, and I loved the relationship between the girls.

I loved the relationship between the two main characters in each book.  I loved Gwen and Hawk.  Tess and Brock.  Mara and Mitch.  Tyra and Tack.  They all have very unique relationships, and I love how we're introduced to Brock, Mitch, and Tack in the first book - it's a great teaser of what's to come in each of the books.

While I loved the entire series, I did have a favorite among the bunch.  and if I rated the books individually, I would rate them as follows:

Mystery Man - ««««
Wild Man - «««««
Law Man - «««««
Motorcycle Man - ««««

I think I liked both Wild Man and Law Man better than Mystery and Motorcycle mainly because I liked Tess and Mara better than I liked Gwen and Tyra.  While I liked all the girls, I felt that I related more toward Tess and Mara.  Tess because of the bakery - while I don't have a bakery of my own, I do love to bake.  I bake at home for no reason, and I'm always showing up to a party or a family gathering with some kind of dessert.  I felt like that alone gave me a connection with Tess.  As for Mara, I think I related to her incredible shyness.  I would totally be the type of person who would crush on a guy from afar for months before plucking up the courage to talk to him.  And while my self-esteem issues are in no way rooted as deep as Mara's, I'm sure there would be similarities in our rating systems for who was worthy of dating me and who wasn't.  As for Gwen and Tyra - I liked them both, but at the same time I found them both a bit confrontational, and while that defined who they are, I just didn't relate as well with them.  But it doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy their stories.

As always, the characters are amazingly developed, and the stories and intricate and meaningful.  There was an aspect of suspense in all of the books, but I loved the way they were laid out and how the stories ended up playing out.  I loved how all the men were super Alpha Males who took charge of situations - Alpha Males who also happen to be in some kind of law enforcement is just so sexy. And I loved seeing these Alpha Males dote on the girls they were falling in love with, and how it shaped the story.  I also loved how in both Wild Man and Law Man, there were children involved.  I absolutely love reading books where there is a single father, or single mother and the man she's dating takes to her children.  It just makes the story that much more lovable.

The only thing that I really wasn't too enthused with was how there was mention to the 'Rock Chick' people as famous people who had books written about them.  Maybe because I haven't read that whole series yet it didn't make much sense to me, but I did think it was odd how those characters was sometimes referenced - it was almost like name dropping.  Weird, but it still didn't take away from any of the stories.

So, as this was the second complete series of Kristen Ashley books that I've completed, I think it's time to start reading the Rock Chick series.  She's definitely a favorite of mine and I'm excited to read more!

Dream Man Series - Goodreads

Mystery Man on Goodreads
Mystery Man via Kindle
Mystery Man via Nook

Wild Man on Goodreads
Wild Man via Kindle
Wild Man via Nook

Law Man on Goodreads
Law Man via Kindle
Law Man via Nook

Motorcycle Man on Goodreads
Motorcycle Man via Kindle
Motorcycle Man via Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment