Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Review: Unexpected Fate (Hope Town #1) by Harper Sloan

~Synopsis~
Have you ever felt like you were living your life for a future that was predetermined? Like there was some bigger picture you just prayed you would someday see clearly? That picture has been crystal clear to me since I was old enough to recognize it for just what it was.

Or I should say recognize him for who he was.


I’ve loved Cohen Cage since I was a small child. He’s been my everything for the last twenty-two years. I’ve loved him through every girlfriend he’s ever brought home. Through his college years and then mine. I’ve loved him through two deployments. And ever since the day I told him how I felt, he’s acted like I’m a stranger.


My name is Danielle Reid, and it’s time for me to get my man.


Our future is an unexpected fate, and no matter what our parents, siblings, and friends say…it’s going to be worth every second of the fight to make it happen.
~My Review~
«««««

I absolutely LOVED this book.  When Harper Sloan first announced that she was going to be releasing a book that was a spinoff of the Corps Security series, I was like, pshhht, that's silly.  It's just going to get old and unenjoyable.  Um, I was totally wrong.  This book was so good, and I may say that it was one of my favorites.

Cohen Cage has been one of my favorite characters from the Corps Security series since I first read Cage.  Seriously, he was such an amazing kid with his cape and superpowers.  He is all grown up now in Unexpected Fate, and I loved every single minute I got of him. He is now the perfect mix of sweet, protective alpha male, and sexy. We never really met Dani in the previous books. I remember when Izzy was pregnant with her, but I'm pretty sure that we only knew that she was born and that she was Axel's baby girl, but I really don't remember anything else about her. She is now sweet, sassy, and funny and I absolutely love her. Both Cohen and Dani are well developed and great characters in this book and carry the story really well.

There was the buildup to the the relationship, so it didn't get thrown in our faces right away. We know that they've been friends forever since Axel, Izzy, Greg, and Melissa have been friends for so long. We learn that Dani has been harboring feelings towards Cohen forever (or what seem like forever) but there's the question as to Cohen's feelings for her. It too a little while for Dani and Cohen to admit to themselves and each other that they loved one another, but once they did, the story really took off. There is definitely conflict and drama throughout the book. I do feel that there is a recurring theme amongst all of the Corps Security books, so I was expecting something to happen in Unexpected Fate, as well. I felt like what happened was built up nicely, and even though it was resolved a bit quickly (I was a little disappointed when I read that it was over), but there was more explanation after the fact that I felt made up for the quick resolution. I did have a couple questions at the end that weren't answered, but I'm hoping that we get those answers in subsequent books of this series. And as always, the sex was steamy and swoon worthy... >

The book wasn't super long (about 3449 long for Kindle Users), but it didn't go by too fast, nor did it drag by. I felt like a really good job was done to move the story along, all the while giving us a clue in as to the other characters - I loved the relationships that are in place between Dani and her parents (I cracked up every time Axel referred to Dani as his little princess and went into super Alpha Male Overprotective Daddy mode), and Cohen and his parents, as well as the friendships they have with Nate, Lila, Lyn, Liam (Dee & Becks's son), and Maddie (Emmy & Locke's daughter). These relationships really helped to develop Dani and Cohen, as well as added to the story.

One of the things I was really afraid of with this new series is that it would just be a continuation of the Corps Security books - that we would be inundated with the original crew who are now older with adult children, and that they (the children) would take a backseat to their parents. This totally didn't happen. Yes, all of the original cast had somewhat of a role in this book, but they were just auxiliary characters. At the end of the day, Unexpected Fate was an amazing story about Friendship, Love, Family, & Fate. I loved every minute of this book and I totally recommend this, as well as the previous Corps Security books, to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment