Saturday, January 24, 2015

Review: Uncover Me (Men of Inked #4) by Chelle Bliss

~Synopsis~
Spiraling down the rabbit hole, I lost myself and became one of them. Living undercover within the MC, the days bled together as I became absorbed in a life of excess and violence.

Becoming consumed was easy.

Was I Thomas Gallo, good guy and respected cop or Blue, Sergeant-at-Arms of the Sun Devils MC?

Before, I could answer with certainty. But now, there’s a darkness that has settled deep in my soul, fusing with my heart and altering my reality forever.

The road I’ve traveled has been paved with danger, death, and deception.

Roxanne grew up as part of the MC, a victim of her birth. Her life has been treacherous, setting her on a course of torment and destruction.

When our worlds collide, secrets are revealed. Trying to save us from damnation, I fight for redemption and the woman I love.
~My Review~
««««


So I absolutely L.O.V.E the Men of Inked Series.  I feel like Chelle Bliss does an amazing job of promoting her books, so because of her updates and teasers on Facebook, I waited not so patiently for Uncover Me to be released.  I'm late on writing my review, but I read Uncover Me the minute it was released from Amazon.  I'm pretty sure that as soon as it got pushed to my Kindle, I started reading and ended up going to sleep at 2am on a work night just so I could start learning more about Tommy and Roxy.  While I have to admit that my first love is City, I think that Tommy might just take the Number 2 slot right after him as my favorite Gallo Men.

One of the things I really liked about this book is that it was grittier than the others.  By grittier I mean that it had the MC life attached to it.  I happen to be somewhat obsessed with MC books, so this fit right in.  It was a nice change thrown into the mix of the Gallo Family.

We really don't know too much about Thomas but overall, I wasn't disappointed with Uncover Me.  This book was so different from the rest of the books, and while I know Chelle Bliss mentioned Tommy was really difficult to write, I applaud her for what she wrote.  Unlike all of the other books in there series, we started this book knowing next to nothing about Thomas.  In Hook Me, we already knew a little bit about Mike and in Resist Me, we already knew a little bit about Izzy.  Those books started and were able to compound information off of what had already been introduced in the previous books.  In this book, we know very little about Thomas other than the fact that he's undercover DEA and the little bit of information that we had in Resist Me with Izzy and Flash at Bike Week, and the resulting scene with Rebel.  I can tell it wasn't an easy task to basically start from scratch and write his story, but the it was still well developed, and the characters were well developed as well.

I really felt like I understood Thomas's struggle to figure out who he is.  He has been posing undercover with the Sun Devil MC for so long, that he really can't figure out if he is still Thomas Gallo or if he has actually turned into Blue, the Sergeant at Arms who's immersed into the life of drugs, sex, and illegal dealings.  On top of that, he's fallen in love with Roxy, who has grown up in the MC environment, and he's conflicted as to whether he is going to be able to keep her or not once he's finally able to leave this secret life.  At the same time, he has also been struggling with the fact that for all the time that he has spent with the Sun Devils, he has been missing out on spending time with his family.

Roxy, aka Angel, is another story.  She grew up in the MC environment, completely neglected by her mother.  While the MC life is the only life that she knows, she doesn't want to lead that life any more, and while she's ready to get away from her past and start over, she doesn't want people learning where she is (there's always the fear that Thomas's enemies will come after her), and she doesn't want her past as a stripper bleeding into the new life that she's making with Thomas.

I enjoyed reading the portion of the book that Blue and Roxy spend with the MC but I was honestly happy it was short lived and we could get into the heart of both of them getting reacclimated into the real world and fitting into the folds of the Gallo family.

Just like all of the other men in the series, Thomas exudes that Alpha Male tendency, strength, and determination in everything he does, but takes it is on a whole different level because of the situation he's in with the MC and that of a law enforcement agent.  Just like in all the other books, there is crazy sexual tension between Tommy and Angel, and none of the scenes they're in together disappoint.  They completely sizzle together and I loved every moment of it.

There were two big things that I didn't like about this story.  Flash and the conflict/resolution.  I didn't like Flash's involvement past what we read in Resist Me.  I really couldn't tell if he was a good guy or a bad guy, even though we know he's FBI and is undercover just like Thomas.  There was just something about him that I didn't like, and he just made the hair on the back on my neck stand up.  I also felt like the story could have moved on without him in it, and I was confused as to why he was brought in once the bust happened with the Sun Devils.

As for the main conflict:  It seemed to be resolved too quickly and without enough information.  I really can't get into it without spoiling everything, but I knew something was going to happen once Thomas and Angel were settled into their new lives together, and I felt like it deserved a bit more attention. Yes, there was a defined conflict and resolution, but the buildup was a bit short and out of the blue and the resolution lacked a bit.  Everything just happened too fast.  However, the resolution to the conflict produced a stronger bond between brothers...so while it lacked, it also added to the story.  So it is what it is.

Overall, I liked Uncover Me.  It wasn't my favorite of the series, but it was still a very entertaining read and I enjoyed it.  I'm excited to read Anthony's story next, but I'm afraid that with his story, the end of the Gallos will come, and I'm really not ready for that.

Link to Amazon
Link to Nook


Other books in the series:
The Gallos (Novella) (The Beginning)
Throttle Me (Men of Inked #1) (City and Suzy)
Hook Me (Men of Inked #2) (Mike and Mia)
Throttled (Novella) (City and Suzy)
Resist Me (Men of Inked #3) (Izzy and James)
Resisting (Novella) (Izzy and James, the prequel)

No comments:

Post a Comment