Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Review: Kane (Slater Brothers #3) by LA Casey

~Synopsis~
Aideen Collins is a free spirit. She is outspoken and tough as nails, but she has to be after growing up in a house full of men. Family means everything to Aideen. Her family consists of her four brothers, her father, and her group of wild friends. Aideen is protective of her family, there is not a lot she wouldn’t do to keep them safe.

Kane Slater is a tortured soul. Literally. He is misunderstood by people, even feared by them thanks to the scars that mar his face and body. He relishes in their fear because people who fear you, won’t want to know you. He likes his circle limited to his brothers and their girlfriends, but a thorn from an Irish rose is dug deep into Kane’s side, and her name is Aideen Collins.

Aideen and Kane don’t get along… at all. Aideen is the only woman who stands up to Kane and throws his bullshit back at him without fear of hurting him. Kane is the only man who can see right through Aideen's tough exterior. He knows her deepest, and darkest secrets. They can’t stand each other, but they want each other. Badly. They hide their need behind arguments, and banter, but when Kane drops his guard for all to see, and succumbs to an illness within his body, it’s Aideen who steps up to the plate to take care of him.

An illness is the least of their worries when a devil from Kane’s past comes back to play with him. Everybody in Kane’s life is threatened, and with his body fighting against him, he doesn’t know if the luck of the Irish is enough to keep his family safe and his demons at bay.

Kane needs Aideen, and what Kane needs, Kane takes.
~My Review~
««««

I'm pretty sure that I found the first Slater Brother's Book, Dominic, as a recommendation on Goodreads....Maybe over a year ago.  I remember really enjoying the book, despite the fact that the characters were still in high school (I was a little skeptical at first that they may be too young, but I was quickly proven wrong).  As time went on, I kept reading the new books that LA Casey was releasing.  The companion novella to Dominic, Bronagh, then Alec and Keela.  When I had the opportunity as a blogger to post a release day post promoting Kane, I decided to go for it!  I mean, why not?? 

As many of you know, I took a bit of a hiatus from reading and writing over the last couple months.  I don't know what it was but I think I had been impulsively reading so much that I just needed a little break.  A lot of what I was reading was just quick little finds that were really mediocre, and I didn't want to write about them because they really weren't great.  However, Kane was released today and I just had to go for it.  Kane is the first new book (new release, new for me) that I've read in a long time, and I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed it.

We learned a little bit about Kane in the previous books, but we generally knew very little about him.  I only ever knew that he was a tough guy  in the whole scene with Marco and he was thus covered in scars.  He may have been the bad boy, but he still seemed like a gentle and kind soul, even from the little information that we got from the previous books.  I really loved getting to know him in this book.  It picked up right where Keela left off, continuing with the girl's adventure with the pregnancy tests and Kane's collapse in the grocery store. We learned about his collapse and why it happened, and we got to see his and Aideen's relationship grow right from the beginning.  I knew a little bit about Aideen because she has been present, at least a little bit, in all of the books so far.  She is a sassy thing, and I really loved her.  Even though the entire book was written from Aideen's point of view, I felt like a good job was done in also presenting information about Kane.

I really liked the dynamic between Kane and Aideen.  I loved how they bickered and argued, and then how they finally were able to admit their attraction to each other.

There was a lot of conflict and resolution in this book.  There's the obvious trouble of Kane collapsing and them finally discovering what his illness is and the challenges to overcome it.  Then there are troubles from Kane's past that come to haunt him.  I like how everything came together with these troubles - I never felt like they came out of nowhere or were just there for the same of having conflict.  It ends on a mini cliffhanger - in that some things are resolved, but other things are not.  This obviously gives us some talking points for Aideen's novella.  I wish I could talk through the things that weren't involved, but by mentioned them I would totally give away so much about the book that I don't want to spoil.

As usual, all of the brothers and their girls have presence in this book.  I love them all, and it's interesting to see how their relationships are going.  I felt that quite a bit was built up between Ryder and Branna, so I'm excited for Ryder's book to see how that plays out.  I have my suspicious, but who knows.  I also liked the introduction to Aideen's family (all of her brothers), and while they had small roles in this book, they still brought a lot of entertainment.

I actually sent LA Casey an email today because a friend of mine and I were trying to figure out the timeline between the books.  I remember she had posted something at some point about the years between each book, but I can't remember when or where I read that.  So hopefully she points me in the right direction.  In this book, Dominic and Bronagh are about 23, so it is about 5 years after the first book, but I'm interested to see how much time will elapse between this book and Ryder & Branna's.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  I felt like it moved quickly, but there was never a time where I felt like things were moving too slow or too fast.  There was never a time where I felt like conflict was thrown in for no reason.  

I've really come to love the Slater Brothers series, and I honestly can't wait for Aideen's novella, as well as the rest of the books in the series!!

Link to Goodreads
Link to Kindle
Link to Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment